Pictures of the event:
Mon Feb 6
7:30 – 7:50 – Registration & Handouts for Perio 2012
Participants – 1 from each clinic plus military hospital, other clinics and 2 KHI staff.
8 am – Perio 2012
Welcome by Dean of the faculty Prof. Kato Njunwa.Jonas
– Introduction of the Dream Team by Drew & Dick
- Drs. Tom & Tyler Sorensen, and Dr. Brent and Julie Fairbanks will join us Sunday Feb 13.
- Sorensens’ – Butare; Fairbanks’ Rwamagana
8:30 – KHI Perio Course led by Debbie Cook from Vernal, UT
10:30 – Clinical – clinic assignments will depend on course enrollment and facilities (Dr Mumena)
– Clinic One – Debbie , Misty, Karen – Dick, Maureen, Ronn and Wendy,
– Clinic Two – Kit, Shirl – Bob, Dennis and Drew
12:30 – Lunch
1:30 – Clinical
– Clinic One – Debbie, Misty & Karen
– Clinic Two – Kit & Shirl
1:30 – Discussion Group for Amalgam Course
– Drew, Dick, Ronn, Wendy, Dennis, Bob and Maureen
- Dental Outreach and ART
- Teaching Amalgam to Dental Therapists
- Plan for week two
Tues & Wed – Debbie Misty, Kit and Shirl will repeat the same schedule as Mon
Dick and Maureen will be teaching prevention in the surrounding schools.
Thurs Morning– Perio – 4 hr lecture, review & discussion – practice management, sharpening, etc
– 8AM – Noon – Dick and Maureen will be teaching Prevention
Thurs Feb 9 – 1 – 4 PM – Everyone will be together to review OUTREACH and receive their Certificates
Tues Feb 7 – Amalgam Course (1 participant from each of our 6 clinics) – KHI may invite Therapist from 4 other clinics and two staff from KHI but there will be only 7 sets of instruments and amalgam.
7:30 – 7:50 – Course Registration and Handouts
8 AM – Welcome by Dean of the faculty Prof. Kato Njunwa.Jonas
– Introduction of class members by Ibra, Drew and Dick
8:30 – Amalgam Course as prepared by Dr. Kent Gibb, U of Alberta
12 Noon – Lunch
1 – 4 PM – Amalgam Course
Wed Feb 8 – Amalgam Course
8 AM – Review and Q & E
– Outline week 2 for each clinic
9:30 – Discussion of Hospital finances – Dr. Didier et al.
11 – Discussion of Supplies, Orders, Sustainability
Noon – Lunch
1 PM – Clinical Practice management
– Managing sick-parade – Extraction and Medication
– Integrating preventive practices – “prophy’s”
- OHI – teaching groups within the hospital; involving hospital Aux staff
- Individual OHI in the clinic
– Establishing a Restorative Practice
– Managing Money & Forward Thinking – PLAN
– OUTREACH – making it work
- Future studies
The following assignments for discussion leaders to be presented when call upon Feb 7 & 8:
– 1. Dr. Didier – Please be prepared to lead a discussion about “How we can ensure funds generated in our dental clinics will be used for dental supplies and services.” – Please let me know how that is coming. 15 min presentation – 10 min discussion
2. Emmanuel – Please be prepared to lead a discussion on “OHI for P6 at Dental Outreaches.” – Outline only – 15 min presentation – 10 min discussion
3. Christophe – Please prepare to lead a discussion on “Ordering dental supplies for Gisenyi” (same time restraints) Please talk about, Amalgam, Composite, and items such as gloves masks, anesthetic, etc.
4. Innocent – Please prepare a discussion on “Planning our Day – dealing with tooth aches, cleanings and fillings effectively ” – (same timings).
5. Eulhade – Please prepare a discussion on “Teaching OHI in the hospital setting” (same timings)
Thurs Feb 9 – Amalgam course
8 AM – Preparation for week TWO
– Are patients booked effectively? How can we improve?
– Does ever clinic have working amalgamators, lights, compressors, suction, etc
– Use Friday and Saturday if necessary to ensure we are ready!
– Have you booked a day for OUTREACH!
9 AM – Review Amalgam & Q & E!
Noon – LUNCH
1 PM – Welcome to Perio & Amalgam course participants! Drs. Ibra, Dick & Drew
Review of Dental Outreach – Drew
3 PM – Presentation of Certificates – the Dean of the faculty Prof. Kato Njunwa.Jonas or Academic Registrar Prof. Firmard
– PERIO Course
– AMALGAM Course
Week TWO – Clinic Assignments
Nyamata – Dr. Dennis, Debbie – Plus Perio Therapists from Rwamagana, Nyamata and ?
– Emmanuel and his staff should consult with Dr. Dennis (Pediatric Dentist) so they can screen some Pedo patients for consultation. Perio patients should be booked for Feb 13, 14 & 16. An Outreach should be scheduled for Wed. Feb 15 (Emmanuel should ensure that his staff are well trained for Outreach prior to Feb 6)
Rwamagana – Dr. Brent – Plus Amalgam Therapists from Rwamagana and Nyamata
– Innocent and Dr. Drew will prepare patients from Rwamagana and ASYV and schedule an Outreach for Feb 14 at ASYV and a primary school Outreach on Tue Feb 21.
– Dr. Brent Fairbanks will remain in Rwamagana until Feb 17. He will also train Rwamagana staff in Practice Management
Kabgayi – Dr. Drew, Misty or Karen – Plus Perio therapists from Butare, Kabgayi & ?- Euhlade should book patients for scaling Feb 13, 14 & 16 and schedule an Outreach for Feb 15
Butare – Dr. Tom & Dr. Tyler & Dr. Didier – Plus Amalgam therapists from Kabgayi and Butare
– Dr. Didier should consult with Dr. Tom & screen any Pedo patients for consultation and schedule an Outreach for Feb 15
Gesenyi – Dr. Ronn, Karen or Misty – with Christophe and Nadia
– Christophe please book both scaling and amalgam patients for Feb 13, 14 & 15 and an Outreach for Feb 16 so Drew can participate
Ruhengeri – Dr. Dick & Rural Rwanda Dental Team
– Dr. Dick will consult with Deo and John about assignments for the week of Feb 13 to 16